Whenever we hear about a devastating hurricane, a mass shooting event, or even another food recall, it’s a sobering reminder of how important it is for organizations to be prepared with a crisis communications plan. Those incidents—and many others—can happen to any of us, and it’s how we prepare for these types of events that will determine if and how we are able to recover.
With an increasingly distributed workforce and the expediting of news through today’s social media channels, being able to collaborate quickly and efficiently across an organization’s departments and geographic locations to manage an incident is critical. Timing and preplanned communications will also make the difference between quickly resolving the situation and it becoming a hindrance to your organization’s operations.
ENSURE SUCCESSFUL CRISIS COMMUNICATIONS
To make sure your organization’s business continuity plan is successful, you’ll need the right tools in place that support mass emergency notification. These tools also make navigating the rough waters of any unplanned business event or disruption more streamlined—and more effective.
MissionMode’s Situation Center crisis management software was specifically designed to support the end-to-end business continuity lifecycle. From planning to early warning system tracking, risk assessment and response, our system enables you to pre-populate your organization’s BCM plans, templates, contact lists, and more. It’s an easy-to-use, collaborative incident management solution that speeds communication, tracks progress, and simplifies project management.
A full version of our Situation Center Suite is also available via a mobile app. Whether you need to send or receive notifications or are launching a new Situation Room for an event that’s unfolding, our emergency mobile app enables your team to get the job done, no matter where they are located.
USING THE SITUATION CENTER
When an incident occurs, an authorized user creates a Situation Log. This is a virtual command center specifically for that incident, and they activate their organization’s emergency response/business continuity team for response to the event. Sub-situation rooms or logs can also be created to deal with specific issues, such as executive leadership discussions or press/media relations. From the initial activation of the Situation Center, teams are immediately equipped with any and all resources your organization pre-defined for incident management and crisis communications. This includes the right plans, documents, procedures, tasks, checklists, building schematics, weather information, news links, people (internal and external) to notify regarding the event and notifications to send.
An emergency notification is immediately sent to mobilize your business continuity team. People respond to the notification with the press of a button, providing status information regarding ETA such as “on-site in 30 minutes.” Color-coded indicators on the real-time dashboard show the status of each team member and who is logged in virtually for immediate response.
Once the emergency response/business continuity team is activated they can easily access all the resources they need in the Situation Center’s Resource Log from any location or mobile device:
- Emergency notification can be used to contact thousands of employees or customers within minutes. It includes customizable automation rules to ensure a successful alert, such as contacting alternates, escalated alerts, sequentially contacting group members, and more.
- Conference calling and secure chat enable fast and easy communication across the business continuity team.
- The Situation Log helps team members share important information, documents, and photos. Field personnel can make updates on smartphones or tablets using the Situation Center Mobile App.
- Team and Individual tasks and checklists simplify project management and provide clear visibility on response progress being made.
- Team members can access the resource library for the templates and files they need to address the particular situation.
- All team members access the color-coded real-time dashboard for a common operating picture of incident status. Authorized users have a centralized view of activities, even across multiple events or departments.
- Detailed audit log tracks all communications and activities which aids after-action review and report development and serves as documentation for legal, audit, and compliance requirements.
HOW TO USE THIS INFORMATION
Having a complete understanding of your organization’s crisis management needs will help you select the best incident management tool for your organization. This allows you to successfully execute your crisis communications plan and/or business continuity plan and recover quickly and effectively from any crisis. Call us at 877-833-7763 or email us to learn more about how MissionMode can help you get started.