When the world’s business leaders seek out information technology insight, they turn to the research and recommendations of the leading technology analyst, Gartner. Gartner analyzes and interprets topics of interest for IT, business and government agency leaders. Recently, Gartner explored crisis and incident management software in a Business Continuity Management and IT Disaster Recovery Management Gartner Hype Cycle. They observed that while these tools are still in the mid-stage of adoption (approximately 20% of businesses using incident management software) they can be highly useful across a wide number of industries. The report outlines best practices for any organization considering an investment in crisis and incident management software.
Goals of Crisis/Incident Management Software
According to the Gartner Hype report, specialized emergency management software tools for crisis and incident management are particularly useful to:
- Manage relationships with all internal and external stakeholders of an organization
- More efficiently manage response, recovery and restoration actions
- Communicate critical information internally and externally
- Review and report on the incident so that an organization’s business continuity team can utilize the data for future training and improvements
Ultimately, the report concluded that the efficiency and consistency provided by crisis and incident management software are critical to return operations to normal as soon as possible after a production-halting event and that more companies should consider adoption of these tools to improve their business continuity effectiveness.
Software Tools for Different Purposes
A crisis and incident software solution might be:
- Generalized for virtually any type of crisis normally found in a business continuity management plan.
- Industry specific and is customized for the needs of a particular industry such as government or utilities.
- Part of another application or larger solution.
Whether your crisis software solution is general or customized to your industry, the Gartner Hype Cycle recommends that you:
- Select a crisis and incident management software solution based on the highest risks to your organization as identified by a risk assessment exercise.
- Ensure that the software tool you choose is aligned with the crisis incident protocols relevant to your region to ensure interoperability with public-sector response agencies.
- Expect steady improvement in the value of your crisis and incident management software investment over time as you apply the tools to more situations.
How to Use This Information
The Gartner Hype Cycle found that although there has been adoption of crisis and incident management software tools by many organizations, there are still plenty of government agencies and businesses that could benefit by investing in software to enhance business continuity management. To learn more about our best-in-class crisis management capabilities, please give us a call at 877-833-7763 or contact our team online.
What has prevented your organization from adopting a crisis management software tool?